What is Community Based HIV Prevention?
Community based Programming of HIV prevention & Testing is an approach to provide comprehensive HIV testing and awareness services through community Based Organizations which are run and led by members of Key populations like MSM, TG or FSW.
In order to achieve maximum number of coverage of HIV Testing & Prevention, HIV Testing and counseling is started to be delivered in community settings, and by community members.
What is a CBO Model?
To mobilize and get the key population engaged in service delivery it is important to demonstrate principles of Community System Strengthening (CSS) which demands development of Community Based Organizations (CBOs) CBO Model is a Community led intervention which is formed to serve their own community through self-identifying community workers which belongs to the specific group they will be serving for example MSMs, TGs/Hijra`s or FSWs. The basis of CBO model is respect for the sub-culture of marginalized communities and demonstration of commitment to the basic principles of community engagement.
- To scale up HIV Testing and Prevention services through community based interventions by improving the provision of comprehensive HIV prevention, care and support services to them.
- Program Implementation according to Revised Pakistan HIV/AIDS Strategy
- To reduce the overall impact of HIV among MSM,TGs and FSWs
- Care and support of Clients
- Developing and fostering the key affected populations’ ownership for the HIV response
- Behavior Change Communication (BCC) through outreach , including awareness regarding HIV Treatment and prevention
- Distribution of Information and education material regarding HIV prevention and treatment, STI symptoms and use of Condoms and lubricants
- Voluntary & Confidential HIV Counseling and testing (VCT) service through trained Staff
- Diagnosis and Treatment of various Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI)
- Distribution of condoms and lubricants among community members
- Psycho social counseling for clients
- Career and family counseling of clients
- Referral support and linkage of PLHIVs into ART Centers with strong follow-up
Have a question or need some help?
APLHIV provides a respectful and safe venue where a wide range of organizations with differing missions come together to share HIV-related information. Call us now at 0800-22209